Monday, October 29, 2012

2012 leaf collection

Once again, the city is offering 3 options for leaf collection this year. Everyone should have received a post card in the mail, but here is a quick run through of the options.

1) Compost your leaves! More information on how to compost can be found at www.epa.gov/composting

2) Bi-weekly yard wast pick up: On our regular yard waste days, bagged leaves will be picked up without the yard waste tag. All other yard waste needs a tag, but leaves don't. Just FYI, we have used garbage cans for leaves with no problems in the past. That saves on the cost of the bags.

3) Curbside pickup: There will be only 1 pickup this year. Just as with last year, you can check where the crews are at http://bloomington.in.gov/leaves. Leaves should be raked to the curb (NOT in the street) by next Monday, November 5, when collection starts. Leaves will be vacuumed between November 5 and December 21.

Looking at the map, our neighborhood is not in the first group for collection, but, if I remember correctly, we were near the start of the pickup last year.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Yet another Bypass construction update

Chris forwarded the following information to me that he received from the CIB traffic committee:


ROAD UPDATES

  1. The  revised current schedule is to put traffic on the new northbound Bypass lanes from 10th St. to 17th St.on October 16. Traffic will still be restricted to one lane each direction, as they still need to construct center curb in that area. 
  2. The traffic signal at 17th Street and the Bypass is also scheduled to be activated on October 16.
  3. College Mall Road between 2ndand 3rd Street will close on or afterMonday, Oct. 22 for replacement of a 48-inch storm sewer line. Weather permitting, traffic will be detoured for about a week’s time over 2nd Street, Woodcrest Drive and 3rd Street.
Please note especially item 3 above. As far as I can tell, the project is still on track to be open for traffic by the end of November, although the final layer of asphalt may need to be done next spring, much like the north part of the project last winter.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bypass construction update

Chris has forwarded me the following update he received from the CIB Parking and Transportation Committee regarding Bypass construction.


·         The current schedule is to put traffic on the new northbound Bypass lanes from 10th St. to 17th St. (hopefully) next week. Traffic will still be restricted to one lane each direction, as they still need to construct center curb in that area. 
·         Asphalt work will continue in the 14th St. area this week.  Once the center curb is complete from 3rd St. to 17th St., they plan to place the final layer of asphalt. That is currently scheduled to occur in mid-November.
·         There is still some work to be done on 14th Street and the golf course drive, but the state contractors will not be extending 14th St. any further than what it currently is now.  Indiana University will do additional work where 14th St. terminates at a later date.  We have no information on that timeline.
·         When the road construction reached the NE corner of 10th St. and the Bypass (the CIB corner) it exposed some pedestrian and bike access issues. Work was halted there to redesign how the sidewalks and crosswalks connect to access paths to the CIB. The final redesign is close to being approved. The state sent it to IU for review and state engineers are currently discussing IU’s suggestions with the designer. They should have final approval this week. NOTE: This only addresses the access issues at the corner and not those at the end of the old driveway. We have no updates on that issue at this time.


Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Board Meeting, August 1, 2012




GHNA board meeting, August 1, 2012

Present: Jeff Morris, Treasurer, Meagan Eller, President; Anne Haynes, Secretary; Gillian Field, Member at Large

Meeting started at 7:15

Treasurer’s. report:  About $237 in treasury.  We have a bank account now but don't have our checks yet [we do as of this writing].  

Gillian, along with Mark Trotter, would like to do an ice cream social again, to include games.  They will plan this, and it will be after labor day.  

Neighborhood garden walk.  Aim for May.  Find a rain date also.  Or let people offer plants or seeds to put out instead if they don’t want to show their gardens.  Anne will organize this.  

Jeff will organize a pizza party at his home for March 2.

We’ll ask if Julie fox is interested in doing the adopt-a-family event again this year.

Meagan is interested in a Halloween event the weekend before Halloween.  And she will organize a Garage Sale.

We’ll meet in April or May 2012 to organize the Association’s block party.

Ideas for spending our money?  Nothing stands out right now.  We will continue to consider ideas as we build awareness of the association.  We welcome suggestions from the membership.

Meeting was adjourned by 8:00.

Respectfully submitted,
Anne Haynes, Secretary

Saturday, June 23, 2012

2012 Annual Meeting and Block Party

Saturday was our annual meeting and block party. After a brief delay, we reached quorum and were able to call the meeting to order.

In attendance were Meagan Eller, Chris Eller, Julie Fox, Bruce Lockwood, Sonya Bystrom, Jessica Savarese, Gillian Field, Bonnie Fisher, Jeff Morris, Anne Haynes, Donna Jaques, Kevin Jaques, Jill Terhune-Andrews, Jeanne Novotny

1st order of business was elections. Three offices were up for election, for 2-year terms running July 2012-June 2014. Anne Haynes was unanimously elected Secretary. Jeff Morris was unanimously re-elected as Treasurer. Jessica Savarese was unanimously re-elected Member-at-Large. They will join Meagan Eller, President, and Gillian Field, Member-at-Large, on the Steering Committee.

2nd order of business was readoption of the Bylaws. A change to quorum was proposed. Quorum is currently defined as 10 Votes present. Proposed change is

"GHNA meetings shall have quorum of either 10 Votes or a majority of Voting households present, whichever is fewer".

The temporary amendment was approved unanimously. It will become permanent if approved at the 2013 annual meeting. The Bylaws were readopted unanimously with the temporary amendment.

Officer and committee reports:

  • Jeff Morris reports that the treasury has $199.16, including dues and reimbursements submitted on Saturday. $100 of that is from receiving the HAND Team of the Year award. We opened a bank account in order to cash the check and to handle GHNA funds in the future.
  • Chris Eller reports that we are still collecting cans. We earn about $30/trip; we've collected fewer cans lately. 
  • Julie Fox organized the collection of gifts a family the neighborhood sponsored at Christmas time. She would like to continue this project each year.
  • Gillian Field organized the ice cream social last fall in conjunction with Mark Trotter's kids' games. All were in agreement that it is worth doing again; she will coordinate with Mark to pick a date this fall.
  • Jeff Morris organized our annual pizza party. It went well and everyone enjoyed the event.
  • Jessica Savarese organized a neighborhood clean-up. Neighbors volunteered to pick up litter on each of the streets in the neighborhood. There was little trash this year, an improvement over previous years.
  • Meagan Eller organized the neighborhood yard sales. About 10 families participated. 


New business:
GHNA received the HAND Team of the Year award at the Blooming Neighborhoods Celebration. Part of the award was $100, as already reported by Jeff Morris.

Concern has been expressed regarding some properties recently sold or currently for sale in the neighborhood:

  • Of concern are the empty lots for sale by the Staats family. Two of those lots were purchased by neighbors with adjoining properties. There are still several for sale. Meagan Eller contacted the Parks and Rec department about the possibility that some of the space could be retained as green space, as a city park, either with or without a playground. Many neighbors have expressed interest in seeing more trees planted on those large lots. 
  • Also of concern were 2 houses along North Grandview which were apparently bought by the owner of Bell Trace. According to Darlene Meyer, she and other property owners were approached privately. She did not sell, but the houses on either side of her did. Meagan Eller contacted the city Planning Department to find out if any plans had been submitted and what the process is if there is a request for a zoning change. Properties in the neighborhood are currently zoned as single family residential. Planning dept reports that no plans have as yet been filed. If plans were submitted, Bell Trace would have to contact us to set up a neighborhood meeting about the plans. A Planning dept staff member would also attend. Adjacent properties and properties adjacent to the adjacent properties would also receive notices in the mail about any upcoming hearings. In short, it appears that there is nothing currently being planned and that we should receive notice if that changes.


In regards to the $100 as noted above, we now have money to decide how to spend.

  • Jule Fox proposed a banner, possibly 2'x4', which could be used at future Blooming Neighborhoods celebrations to decorate our table. She noted that most other neighborhoods had such banners. Estimated cost could be $75. 
  • Jessica Savarese thought that seemed expensive for something we would only use once a year. She prefers the idea of using the money toward dog poop bag dispensers, as has previously been discussed. Since we have funding, we could skip the grant application process, although we would still need approval from Public Works to attach dispensers to street sign posts. (Previous estimate of cost to make 6, using the Bryan Park neighborhood design, would be ~$160.)
  • Bonnie Fisher proposed that everyone think about ideas to use the $100 and submit them to the officers so the officers can then decide how to use it, with a September 30th deadline. Bonnie's motion was approved.
In regards to dog poop problems in the neighborhood, it may be due to the increasing number of college students and others living in the apartments surrounding the neighborhood. They may not realize they need to clean up after their dogs. 

Gillian Field brought up the idea of requesting traffic calmers in the neighborhood, possibly just speed bumps at the 2 neighborhood entrances, rather than throughout the neighborhood. She has noticed a number of unfamiliar cars driving fairly fast. It was noted that the speed limit is currently listed as 30 mph, although that should decrease to 25 mph once new signs are posted (http://bloomington.in.gov/media/media/application/pdf/9862.pdf). Pros: Traffic calmers might reduce people using the neighborhood as a cut-through. Cons: we would end up punishing ourselves by having to go over speed bumps daily. Due to a lack of sidewalks, bump-outs or chicanes could make the streets more dangerous for pedestrians by forcing them into the line of traffic. Jeanne Novotny will check with the police department if they are the ones who do the mobile speed sign and if we can have it in the neighborhood at some point. (If they are not the right department, we will try to find out who does administer those and make the same request.) 

On that note, the meeting was adjourned so we could enjoy the block party on such a beautiful Saturday.

Friday, June 15, 2012

10th Street closure update

10th Street is still closed between Pete Ellis & Bypass and from Bypass west toward Tulip Tree. However, the traffic pattern did change today. The new entrance to the IU properties at 10th and Bypass moved so access is now from Pete Ellis (but you can't get to Bypass through there!).

Completion of the 10th Street/Bypass intersection is supposed to be done by July 16th, so we have another month of inconvenience.

Also, the access to Range Road from Bypass, via Wruble, will be changing. A new 14th Street entrance is being constructed.

2012 Block Party and Annual Meeting

Come on out and enjoy a cookout with your neighbors! Our annual meeting and block party will take place next Saturday.

What: Annual meeting and block party
When: Saturday, June 23rd, 4:30-8:30 p.m.
Where: Staats Drive between Post Road and Grandview Drive

The neighborhood association will provide plates, cups, drinks and such as usual. Please bring a dish to pass and something to toss on the grill for your family. Please also bring a chair or two. We will have our grill out, plus several tables. 

Important information on the annual meeting:

To achieve quorum and hold the annual meeting, we need 10 voting members present. Voting membership is granted to any household that pays $1 in annual dues. Dues are voluntary and are not required to participate in GHNA activities. 

We currently have 12 households who have paid dues for 2011-2012. If you have paid dues, you should have received an email from me this morning. Hopefully all of our voting members will be able to attend the meeting this year. Please try to attend the meeting, which will take place ~5 p.m.

If you would like to be a voting member, there is still time. Please pay your $1 to Jeff Morris - you can even pay $1 toward next year at the same time! Dues are accepted at the annual meeting, which will take place ~5 p.m. 

We have had years where we had to call voting members to come, delaying the meeting. The sooner we reach quorum, the sooner we can take care of business and get back to the party.

Three offices are up for election this year:
Secretary - This office is currently held by Erin Wager-Miller. She is unable to continue in this office, so please consider taking on this office and getting more involved with the neighborhood. The secretary keeps meeting notes and plans one event or project each year. 
Treasurer - Our current treasurer is Jeff Morris. Treasurer keeps books for the association and plans one event or project each year. 
Member at Large - There are two member at large positions. The one currently held by Jessica Savarese is up for election. A member at large plans one event or project each year.

All offices are for a 2-year term, so these would be for July 2012-June 2014. We generally hold an organizational meeting in July to choose events or projects for the year, a meeting in May or June to plan the block party/annual meeting, and the annual meeting at the block party. Meetings are usually under 1 hour in duration.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blooming Neighborhoods HAND Team of the Year

This past Saturday, Jeff Morris and I accepted the HAND Team of the Year Award at the Blooming Neighborhoods Celebration.

Jeff Morris and Meagan Eller accepting the award from Vickie Provine of HAND

HAND Team of the Year award
Thanks to all the neighbors who came to the celebration. We wouldn't have received this award without everyone in the neighborhood doing their part.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

We're receiving an award Saturday

Grandview Hills Neighborhood Association will receive the HAND Team of the Year Award this Saturday at the Blooming Neighborhoods Celebration. 

This is an award for our whole neighborhood; we received it because we do a great job of communicating. Please consider coming to the awards presentation if you can and share in the celebration.

Blooming Neighborhood Celebration
Saturday, June 2, 2011
9:00 a.m. to noon
Farmer’s Market at City Hall

The awards will be presented at 10:00 a.m. If it is raining, the celebration will take place inside the City Hall Atrium.

For those interested, here is the application I sent for this award.



Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bypass construction and 10th Street closures

Information as provided by UITS CIB Parking and Transportation Committee regarding upcoming closures due to Bypass construction:

Bypass construction is coming to an intersection near you! Beginning June 4, there will be a number of closings affecting the intersection of 10th Street and the 45/46 Bypass. Below are the relevant dates and affected areas.

·         May 7-June 1: 17th Street at the SR 45/46 Bypass closed for intersection upgrade.
·         June 4-July 16: Westbound 10th Street will be closed at the SR 45/46 Bypass. Traffic will be maintained on SR 46 Bypass throughout this construction. Traffic for the 10th Street closure will be detoured on Jordan Avenue and 17th Street. Local access will be available to the Tulip Tree Apartments from the west, but the apartments will not be accessible from SR 45/46 Bypass.
·         June 4-July 2: Eastbound 10th Street will be closed to through traffic between SR 45/46 Bypass and Pete Ellis Drive. The detour route will utilize Pete Ellis Drive and Smith Road.  Traffic will be maintained on SR 46 throughout this construction.  Local access to the Indiana University facilities and the Scholars Quad Apartments will be maintained throughout the closure. 
o   June 4-June 16: Traffic will access the current 10th St. entrance to the Indiana University facilities from the west while SR 45/10th St. is rebuilt from the existing IU entrance toward Pete Ellis Drive.  Access will not be available to the IU entrance from the east from Pete Ellis Drive during this time. 
o   June 17-July 2: Indiana University facilities will be accessed via East 10th St./SR 45 from Pete Ellis Drive and will utilize the newly constructed IU entrance.  During this time, access to the 10th St. entrance will not be available from the Bypass. 
·         Date TBD – The entrance from the Bypass to the Creative Arts Parking lot (i.e., the lot north of Wrubel Computing Center) and the drive north of the Data Center will be shifted up to the 14th Street intersection once it has been constructed.
·         During this time, Bloomington Transit’s Routes 6 and 9 will detour via 3rd St.  


INDOT drawing of the finished intersection

Graphical representation of dates and areas of closure


In a nutshell, after next week, plan to use 3rd Street if you are heading west. They have started paving the 3rd St/Bypass/College Mall intersection and have switched the lane closings to the west-bound lanes. Part of the southbound lanes of Bypass have also been paved. 

Bypass construction is supposed to be completed by November, if I remember correctly, so the end is in sight. 

Saturday, February 18, 2012

More construction

Bypass construction is still well underway. And now that we've all gotten used to the reconfiguration of lanes on 3rd Street, here is news of some more construction on the southeast side of town.

The much rumored/anticipated/contested roundabout at Sare and Rogers will be constructed this summer. That intersection is scheduled to be completely closed beginning in mid-May for 90 days. The posted detour will be a loop (for whichever section someone may need) of Moores Pike, Smith Rd, Rogers Rd, Snoddy Rd, Rhorer Rd, Walnut Street Pike, Winslow Rd, High St, Hillside Dr (Moores Pike). In conjunction with this construction, some work will also be done to water lines in that area, closing the intersection of Moores Pike and College Mall/Sare for 2 days in mid-March, closing/reducing to one lane sections of Sare starting in March (the graphic in the HT breaks down the sections), closing the intersection of Rhorer and Harrell Roads in August after the roundabout is finished, and closing Harrell Rd temporarily in September.

There is a public open house Monday at 5:30 at Sherwood Oaks Christian Church in the Fireside Room if anyone wants to see the plans or have the schedule explained.

If you have an HT subscription or online subscription, they have an article that explains further: http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2012/02/18/news.roundabout-on-way.sto

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Neighborhood pizza party 2012

Our neighborhood pizza party is coming up on Saturday, March 3rd. We'll gather in Jeff Morris's basement as we have the last 2 years to enjoy pizza and conversation.

More information will come soon, including a request for pizza choice. We hope a lot of neighbors can make it. Even though this has been a mild winter, it's always nice to talk to the "people in our neighborhood".

(We ask for an RSVP with pizza choice so we can order the pizzas ahead of time. This helps insure we have enough and of the variety everyone wants.)

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bypass construction update

This information was passed along to me in regards to the SR 45/46 Bypass construction project.

"As part of the SR 45/46 bypass reconstruction project a traffic pattern change is scheduled to begin on Tuesday January 10th (weather permitting) for the following:

·         SR 45/46 between 10th Street and 3rd Street – Traffic will be shifted similar to how it currently is between 17th Street and 10th Street
·         3rd Street between Pete Ellis Drive and Hillsdale Drive – Traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction
·         College Mall Road from 3rd Street to 2nd Street – Traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction
·         SR 45/10th Street from SR 46 to west of Pete Ellis Drive – Traffic will be shifted to allow the reconstruction of the southbound side of SR 45."

Looks like this end of the project will be in full swing next week. As you can see from the list of lane closures, it will likely not be fun getting from the east side of town to anywhere for a while. Last I heard, construction was supposed to be completed in November 2012.

Some alternative routes to get across town.... pretty much the only options are 1) go south on Smith to Moore's Pike or to Rogers and across or 2) deal with the lane closures.