Saturday, June 6, 2009

Why do you live in Grandview Hills?


For our table at the Blooming Neighborhoods Celebration, we would like to put together a poster of why folks choose to live here. Let's advertise our neighborhood and give people a reason to watch for properties to come on the market here.
So, why do you live here? Why did you choose this neighborhood and why do you stay? If you can think of a few sentences, a poem, a top ten list, whatever, please share it.
Here are the responses used on the poster at the Blooming Neighborhoods Celebration:
As you know, my house was on the market last year. I didn't move because I couldn't find a house I could afford and liked as well as 501. But I wasn't at all disappointed; rather, I was GLAD not to leave this neighborhood. Here's why: there's space and privacy, yet a sense of congeniality and community. It's a quiet and attractive area, too -- two attributes that are really important to me. It's close to everything commercial and cultural, but has a feeling of separateness and seclusion.
– Bonnie Fisher
There are lots of reasons I love Grandview Hills. We have lived here for nearly 15 years now and raised our sons here. 

- Safe, small neighborhood

- People are friendly and take time to get to know each other

- Neighbors were kind and patient with our sons when they delivered the newspaper for 3-4 years

- With definable boundaries, it is easier for kids to stay in the neighborhood when riding bikes. (They know where Grandview Hills ends!)

- Interesting people live here!

- Beautiful trees, lawns, open green spaces

- Active neighborhood association

– Terri Arnold
TRANSPORTATION:
I love the fact that we live so close to the University that I can bike to work and around town!
I love the fact that there are 3 bus routes that are less than 1/2 mile from our front door!
I love being able to walk to Target or Marsh or Bloomingfoods!
I love having the Indiana Rail Road travel past our backyard!
DIVERSITY
I love that there is a mix of IU students, individuals, families with young and older children and prime timers and we all seem to gel!
I love that our houses look vastly different from each other--no cookie cutter houses here!
I love that our daughter is able to attend an amazingly diverse elementary school--less than a mile from our front door!
SAFETY
I love that we help look out for each other!
I love that our neighborhood is quiet!
NEIGHBORS
I love that our neighbors are friendly and care about us!
I love that we have the Grandview Hills Neighborhood Association to encourage us to be more neighborly!
I love the get-togethers we have and getting to know each other!
Most of all, I love the sense of community and ownership we have living in Grandview Hills.
– Rachel Wheeler
This is why I like living in the Grandview Hills neighborhood.
Great neighborhood
Red, orange, and yellow trees each fall
Annual block party
Nice neighbors
Dogwoods and daffodils bloom in spring
Variety of home styles
Indiana University just minutes away
Everything close by
Winter beauty
Helpful neighbors
Ice cream social in summer
Lovely lawns
Location, location, location
Shady streets
– Judy Wagner
My husband and I moved into Grandview Hills in 1969, 40 years ago! Here we raised our family and conducted our lives in a safe and friendly neighborhood. Everyone has always pulled together when there were issues that affected us. Having a train run past our back yard has been a blessing as well. Our children learned to count with these trains. We have always proudly said that we live on the "right side of the tracks".
– Claudia Lindman
Top Ten Reasons to Live in Grandview Hills
10. Affordable houses on good size lots, a Bloomington rarity
9. University Elementary district
8. No homeowners association, but a great neighborhood association
7. Lots of mature trees and open spaces
6. Individuality of neighbors and houses – we’re not all the same!
5. Quiet, with little through traffic, safe for the kids to play outside
4. Wildlife – deer, chipmunks, rabbits, birds, foxes, squirrels, ground hogs and more
3. Walking distance of College Mall, Post Office, grocery store, 2 parks
2. Convenient location near 3, 6, 8 bus lines, so we don’t have to drive
1. Great neighbors, the very best reason to live here
– Meagan Eller

No comments:

Post a Comment